The other day I wrote about the impending retirement of the fish as keyholder. I'm sure it will find a place in my life for something, possibly as a secondary storage by the front door, but for now I need, umm, stability in my storage. Seriously, the damn thing swinging back and forth just makes me nuts. Anyway, the space that I have to work with between door casing and wall is 18", so applying the rule of "seems about right" I decided to make my shelf 12" wide. This would later prove to make the math nice and easy when figuring out the placement of the magnets. For the hardcore, dividing 18" by the golden ratio gives about 11 1/8". I may be a little fussy, but I'm going to let this one slide.
So, with a width in mind I headed to the drawing table. It's actually a craft table. Well, it used to be a sanding table that's been pressed into service in my apartment. Anyway, 12" wide was what I decided on and I opted for a depth of 3 1/2" because I'm almost always guaranteed to have some 1x4 floating around in the studio. Initially this gave me a finished dimension of 12" x 3 1/2" x 1 1/2". I poached a chunk of drawing paper from my daughter's Måla easel and started laying it out full size. I haven't drawn by hand in ages and was quite surprised by the level of bliss I could achieve. Note to self - shop for a drawing table.
After drawing layout for the magnets and with the wisom of YouTube in my mind, I headed to the studio and started working. My original vision was to use 1x4 pine because I always seem to have some hanging around, but I when I swung by my local Borg to pick up some steel for another project, I was delighted to discover that they had rough cut maple 1x6x8 for about $12.00 a board.
So, on this build day, armed with my newly acquired piece of maple and a healthy, positive attitude, I jointed and planed. I dadoed. I hand turned dowels. Much sawdust was made and I produced a stunningly wonderful piece of crap. It took me forever to get the pieces machined. I didn't have any 3/4" dowel in stock, but I have a lathe, so I blew even more time doing that. Then, because the shelf itself was supposed to be in two pieces laminated together, I had to wait for the glue to dry.
Don't get me wrong, the process itself was wonderful and it was definitely a learning experince. Plus, I got a couple of other small projects finished so at the end of the day I left without a snazzy place to hang my keys, but with a source of maple and a much clearer head.
Next time: I actually build the damn thing.